temple emanu-el
top border
Marriage License

In order to be married at Temple Emanu-El you must provide a valid marriage license from any borough, town, county or city in New York State.

It is not necessary to obtain a marriage license in New York City, but please be aware that each county has slightly different rules about obtaining one. You must have the license on the day of the wedding, or the rabbi will not be able to legally marry you. You can give it to the rabbi ahead of time. Wherever you choose to obtain the license, remember to check for how long it will be valid. Do not get the license too early, or it may expire before the wedding date!

Here are some general facts:

• No blood tests are required.
• The license usually is valid for 60 days.
• The couple must obtain the license together and
   must wait a full 24 hours before getting married.
• You must bring documentary proof of age — driver’s license, passport, birth certificate.
• The license costs $35 (New York City), payable by credit card or money order.
• You cay go to the Municipal Building in any of the five boroughs
   or to any county courthouse in the state of New York to obtain a license.

For more information from the NYC Marriage Bureau, click here.

Back to Weddings
photo of temple
One East 65th St., New York, New York 10065. Phone  212-744-1400
One East 65th Street, New York, NY 10065    (212) 744-1400 horizontal rule Member Log In | Calendar | Site Map | Contact Us | Text Size [+] [-]